“Sometimes, it is best to ignore your own tiredness and take care of your friends when they need you.” ~Buddy Bertelsen

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What Do Dogs Do All Day?

Most people don't have a clue what their dogs do all day while they are away at work or school so I thought I would let you in on the big secret. Don't rat me out to any of my fellow canines, this secret has been kept for generations and I don't want to be known as the one who spilled his guts for a couple of chicken treats.

Every morning my people get up, get dressed, feed me and my sisters and give us all a love goodbye. My love is generally the longest, and the best, and the most heartfelt but don't tell the girls....it would just make them pout. I like to watch my mom back out of the garage through my special portal to the great outdoors.

After making sure she gets out safely I generally like to return to the front room window for a morning nap in the beautiful sunlight. A dog, such as myself, should really save his energy for the important efforts in life. After a leisurely nap I prefer to roam the backyard, inspecting all areas for safety and making sure the stray animals, including the feline named Macaroni that thinks she lives here, find their way home.

It is usually a short time after this that I find my schedule lacking in the really "meaty" activities that a dog of my stature needs in order to promote and/or sustain mental and physical growth and agility. Therefore, I am literally forced to make some decisions that may or may not be viewed as positive by my people. I have included some photos of these decisions and ask you to render your vote as to the best choices I have made.



This first photo may appear a tad bit disturbing to some of you but believe me....this was not an easy endeavor! I literally had to take this 6x9 foot heavy braided rug and fold it over and over upon itself just to get to the under-padding! This took a great deal of time and effort on my part. I had to take another nap just to finish the task! Once the under-padding was revealed I painstakingly removed very small pieces from it with my teeth. I was so proud of my work that I brought several of my toys to the scene and sat upon the rug. Truly, I am the KING of the mountain!

Another job that didn't take nearly half as long as I thought it would was the day I found the cord to my dad's computer. It was a beautiful thing. I licked it and it felt smooth on my tongue. I wondered what it would taste like if I took a bite. At first I chewed gently, one never knows if one will like what one is biting into. Well, long story short.......I only got one good bite before it bit me right back! I felt the bite all the way through my body and out my tail. I have never had anything bite me like that before. It made me jump and yell and run out the magic portal to my Garden of Eden where I had to continually lick my tail just to make it feel better. This was not a good day but when my people got back home I didn't let them know what the cord did to me. After all, why get made at a silly little cord?

One of my favorite things to do to help my mom while she is away is to clean things off the counter for her. Because of my perfect size I am able to place my front paws at the edge of the counter and allow my incredible sensitive nose near the edge. I found this to be especially fruitful one day when I came across a fresh loaf of whole wheat bread. I was able to snack on this prior to the people's return but found the outer coating a little unappetizing.
Well, there you have it......all in a day's work? I think not!
Let my mom know which one is your favorite so I can make sure I continue the good work for her. Until later...

No comments:

Post a Comment