“Sometimes, it is best to ignore your own tiredness and take care of your friends when they need you.” ~Buddy Bertelsen

Sunday, July 25, 2010

How I Got Here: Part Two

I hope you read the first part of my story. It kind of left in a sad spot and I wanted to let you know after that people left me and went into the people playground I just laid down and closed my eyes. My thoughts were racing. How come the little dogs got a people to take them home and I am still here? I was on my best behavior and I still couldn't convince a people to keep me.

After what seemed like hours she came back. YES! She wants me! She went right to the man who seemed to be in charge and asked if he could keep me for a week. She said they were on their way to Texas and would be there for a week and could pick me up on the way back. He said he couldn't do it. She looked at me. I pleaded with the best puppy dog eyes I could muster. I could feel her sadness in my heart like it was my own pain. I heard her tell the man she came with that if I was still at the shelter when they came back through they would get me. She said it was meant to be.

I am still a little surprised at my feelings but, I actually prayed that I could stay at the shelter for one more week. I knew she was the people I needed for my own. I could endure this for one more week. I knew I could.

I watched her walk back to the silver car, get in and drive off. Our eyes met and locked while her car drove away. I heard the sound that her car made so that when I heard it again I would be ready for her. I held the sight and sound in my heart and knew we would be reunited soon.

I planned it all out in my head how the next seven days would go. How I would tune out the lonely cries from the other dogs. How I would eat my kibble and exercise in the small kennel so I would be strong and handsome when she came back. In the midst of my plans I heard something that just so recently I had etched in my mind....the sound of the car. And then, there she was. She had the biggest smile on her face and came directly to my kennel. She told the man that she had to come back for me. She signed the paperwork and the man she was with went into the people playground and came out with things for me! I got a new collar and leash, a couple of bowls, some kibble, water and a kennel for me to sleep in.

They took me to the car, opened the door and tried to get me to jump in. I was still in such sheer shock that I didn't dare jump in the car. They finally lifted me up in. She got in the back seat with me and put her arm around me. She kept telling me she loved me and was so happy that she had found me. I know she felt my feelings in her heart. I finally had my own people. I was so tired I fell asleep with my head on her lap and rode that way for the next five hours. I hope this is what heaven is like.

1 comment: