“Sometimes, it is best to ignore your own tiredness and take care of your friends when they need you.” ~Buddy Bertelsen

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Wanna know how I got here?

After mom told me the blog was up and running I told her that you all might want to know just how I got here. So here goes.....

I was born in the beautiful state of New Mexico. Hot, dry, sandy, windy, did I mention it was hot? Whew, I am pretty sure that whoever first used the phrase 'Dog Days of Summer' was in New Mexico at the time. Not a lot to tell for the first nine months, popped out of a birth canal, had some siblings (they never call, they never write:(, lived with a family for a while and they took me to the Los Lunas Animal Shelter. They said they were moving to an apartment and couldn't take me with them. My dad says they meant they wanted to keep the furniture they had left.....not sure what he means by that. Anyhoo, I spent the longest 14 days of my life there. To put this into perspective, that is like three and half months to a dog! Nobody stopped to visit. Families would come into the shelter and they all went gaga over those little, tiny pups. No one was interested in a bigger dog that had all of his adult teeth. I guess they couldn't see the value in having a dog that is past what you all call 'the terrible twos'. I am almost 7, in dog years that is.

Life in the shelter.......really, what can I say? It's not as sweet as it appears. You have this very, very small area, I guess I at least got a private kennel which is more than I can say for some of the other dogs. I didn't get to run and play. It was hard to sleep cuz so many of the other dogs were sad and lonely and would cry or bark all night long. I tried to just keep to myself, I kept my cries inside so I didn't bother anyone else. It wasn't easy.

One day a group of people came to the shelter and took a lot of us dogs, put us in wire kennels and put us in a big van. It was nice to get out of the shelter for a while but I wasn't able to put my head out of the window and breathe the rushing air like I wanted to. After a while we stopped at a big building with a huge parking lot. I think it is a people playground because lots of people would go in and out of the big building. They must give treats inside when you go to play because people would go in without anything and come out with treat bags! I want to play in this place sometime.

I spent a good part of the day watching people go in and out, in and out. A lot of them stopped to look at the other animals in the wire kennels. Some of the animals left with the people who had treat bags. They were sure happy.....and a little scared. I did my best to look attractive to everyone. I laid down, real calm like, and just hoped that someone would rub behind one of my ears....I hadn't had that done for so long. I found myself watching the cars pull into the parking lot and seeing the people pass me by. Then I saw a silver car pull into a parking spot and one of the people in the car caught my eye. I must have caught hers too because she came straight toward me. She didn't stop, didn't go into the people playground. She couldn't take her eyes off me. She sat right down next to my wire kennel and bravely put her fingers in to see if I would sniff her. It was all I could do not to jump up and down, I was so excited someone noticed me!

Her touch felt so good. It was like I had known this touch my whole life! She asked if she could get me out of the kennel and the man said yes. As soon as I was out I knew I had to be on my best behavior. I really didn't want to ruin this chance. I calmly went with her. She sat down and I sat right next to her. I gently put my head in her lap. She kept saying what a good boy I was. It was sheer bliss! I got to spend 15 or 20 minutes just smelling her and feeling her touch. I knew she was the one.

Then, it ended. She handed me back to the man and went into the playground. I was devastated. What had I done wrong? How could she just walk away? I needed her and I thought she needed me too. The pull of the people playground must have been too strong. She went inside. I laid back down in the kennel and closed my eyes. What did I do wrong? What did I do?


No comments:

Post a Comment